On the Shelf for May 2020
The Lesbian Historic Motif Podcast - Episode 46a with Heather Rose Jones
Your monthly update on what the Lesbian Historic Motif Project has been doing.
In this episode we talk about:
- Book Events in the Time of Quarantine
- Recent and upcoming publications covered on the blog
- Smith-Rosenberg, Carroll. 1975. “The Female World of Love and Ritual: Relations between Women in Nineteenth-Century America” in Signs vol. 1, no. 1 1-29.
- Vicinus, Martha. 1984. "Distance and Desire: English Boarding-School Friendships" in Signs vol. 9, no. 4 600-622.
- Faderman, Lillian. 1999. "Surpassing the Love of Men Revisited" in The Harvard Gay & Lesbian Review 6.2 p.26.
- Bodek, Evely Gordon. 1976. "Salonières and Bluestockings: Educated Obsolescence and Germinating Feminism" in Feminist Studies vol 3 no. 3/4 185-199.
- Garber, Marjorie. 1992. Vested Interests: Cross-Dressing and Cultural Anxiety. Routledge, New York. ISBN 0-415-91951-7
- Halberstam, Judith (Jack). 1997. Female Masculinity. Duke University Press, Durham. ISBN 978-1-4780-0162-1
- Herrmann, Anne. 1992. "Imitations of Marriage: Crossdressed Couples in Contemporary Lesbian Fiction" in Feminist Studies vol. 18 no. 3 609-624.
- Hindmarch-Watson, Katie. 2008. "Lois Schwich, the Female Errand Boy: Narratives of Female Cross-Dressing in Late-Victorian London" in GLQ 14:1, 69-98.
- Book Shopping Titles
- European Sexualities, 1400-1800 by Katherine Crawford
- Never Married: Singlewomen in Early Modern England by Amy M. Froide
- Invisible Relations: Representations of Female Intimacy in the Age of Enlightenment by Elizabeth Susan Wahl
- Companions Without Vows: Relationships Among Eighteenth-Century British Women</em by Betty Rizzo
- A Queer History of the United States by Michael Bronski
- Out of the Past: Gay and Lesbian History from 1869 to the Present by Neil Miller
- The Time Traveler’s Guide to Restoration Britain by Ian Mortimer
- Dress in the Age of Jane Austen: Regency Fashion by Hilary Davidson
- Women’s Friendship in Literature by Janet Todd
- Announcing this month’s author guest, Janet Todd
- This month’s essay: Aphra Behn (reprise)
- Fiction Series: “Cardinal’s Gambit” by Catherine Lundoff
- New and forthcoming fiction
- The Storyteller by Jea Hawkins
- Mary, Everything (The Flapper Convenant #1) by Cassandra Yorke
- Pieces of You A Desdemona Valentina Mystery: * Femme Fatale * (Desdemona Valentina Mysteries #4) by S.L. Freake
- The Necklace and the Flame by Heather Donnelly
- Don't You Know There's a War On? by Janet Todd
- Out Now: Queer We Go Again! edited by Saundra Mitchell
- Scandalous Passions by Nicola Davidson
- The Tree and the Vine by Dola de Jong, trans. Kristen Gehrman
- While My Heart Beats by Erin McKenzie
- Insoumises by Kadyan
- A transcript of this podcast is available here.
Links to the Lesbian Historic Motif Project Online
- Website: http://alpennia.com/lhmp
- Blog: http://alpennia.com/blog
- RSS: http://alpennia.com/blog/feed/
Links to Heather Online
- Website: http://alpennia.com
- Email: Heather Rose Jones
- Twitter: @heatherosejones
- Facebook: Heather Rose Jones (author page)
If you enjoy this podcast and others at The Lesbian Talk Show, please consider supporting the show through Patreon: